 Robotics / 5631
RE: new pics on legomindstorms.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 18:17:26 GMT

I have one suggestion: Don't target the 8-13 year olds exclusively. Two
versions of software perhaps, but BOTH coming with the RIS Base Kit. This
way, the kids will still have the easy, colorful, flashy current Development
Environment, and the more knowledgable can use the more advanced Dev
Environment, maybe something similar to RCXCC. All I know is, the Lego
Environment that comes with the RIS is meager, and I would have preferred
something with more granular control over sensor input and motors, more
variables, better Stack design, etc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Luis Villa [mailto:liv@duke.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 1999 8:43 AM
To: Laurentino Martins
Cc: Lego-Robotics
Subject: Re: new pics on legomindstorms.com

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Laurentino Martins wrote:

I don't agree.
Although I'm a experienced programmer, I think I can visualize a
graphics-like programming environment that would accomplish just what you
said.

Oh, I'm sure it could be written- but, at least judging from their other
titles, I'm not sure TLG is the group to do it. I mean, if they wanted to
do it/could have done it, they would have allowed more than 32 variables
in the current iteration of the RIS, or allowed for the creation of
arrays and other such.

Besides, many kids these days already have the knowledge on how • programming
flow works (if->then->else, while->do, etc),

Not real sure about that- my half-sister is often called by other adults
"scarily bright," and has received about as good an education as $$$ can
buy in the states. I'm sure she has the concepts, but not the language-
and that is what you need. Whether it is a graphical language or a text
based one (like we are used to) I'm not sure even she'd have the patience
to learn it, and she has more patience than any 8 year old I've ever met.

and I doubt that with a
good help and maybe wizards, examples and step-by-step on-screen
instructions that would not be accomplishable. It seems to me LEGO has
the potential to create this kind of environment.

I would hope so- I'd love to use such a thing with my sister and brother.
But i'm not holding my breath. It is hard enough to explain many of these
concepts to college students- the number of kids in my freshman C++ class
who couldn't grasp these things (at a supposedly very selective
university) was incredibly high.

... By the way, have
you seen the CyberMaster CD-Rom building instructions?

No. Why?

Anyway, that's my two cents... anyone else care to brainstorm about
exactly what and how the next RIS should have, and still be vaguely aimed
at the 8-13 audience?
-Luis

     Profanity is the one language that all programmers understand.
                  -Anonymous