 Robotics / 5561
Re: 8414 Mountain Rambler at K B Toy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 15:46:59 GMT

I went to the KayBee Toys in Austin, TX and they also had the Mtn Rambler on
sale for about 40% off.  They also had two other Technic sets (a medium one
and a small one) for about the same discount.  The set that caught my eye was
a Crystal Explorer or something for 40% off.  Sorry, I do not recall the name
or set no. and I am not familiar with the underwater themes.  This one did
have some nice green pieces.  It was basically a black sub/underwater ship,
with green trim, including green "propellor protectors" or whatever.  Even at
40& I did not buy a thing.  The Mtn Rambler is nice but I already have one,
and I already have two-three pairs of treads, so my robots are taken care of.

Alan C

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Michael Aaron Finch) writes:
Chris,

     thanks for the notice, i am always looking for kits like this to • integrate
into my Mindstorms projects.

Michael Aaron

Chris Phillips wrote:

   I wasn't really sure which list to post this to, so I apologize in
advance if you don't care about this...

   I just wanted to let the robotics crowd know about the availability of a
pretty good technics set for relatively cheap dough.  The 8414 "Mountain
Rambler" is a Technics model that comes with 244 pieces, mostly of the small
and/or unusual variety.  (A couple long Technics beams, many axles, 1
universal joint, 2 spring-loaded shock absorbers, 9 assorted small gears, an
unusual rack-and-pinion steering mechanism, 2 caterpillar treads, 2 "Mars
Rover"-style wheels, and a lot of miscellaneous bits...)

    http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=8414

   I mention this particular model because K B Toys (a.k.a. "Kay Bee Toy")
has been selling these kits for about $20 (down from $33), and I've been
buying them whenever I see them.  (Any time I can get real Lego Technics for
less than 10 cents per particle, I'm a happy minifig.)  I now own 6 or 7 of
them, and my sorting bins have never been happier.  I've been to two
different K B locations and they both keep re-stocking the shelves as fast
as I keep un-stocking them.  (I didn't ask how many they have in the back
room; I just don't need that kind of temptation...)

   I don't know how regional the K B chain is, so I hope you can find one if
you want to.  Sorry, this is NOT an offer to purchase and ship -- I'm
terribly disorganized when it comes to that sort of thing.  I'm just hoping
that someone else will help me to buy these up so that I won't have to foot
the entire bill myself!