 Robotics / 5554
Re: Does Pneumatic Suck?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 04:48:33 GMT

On Jul. 08 99, 21:19 PDT, "Hari Wiguna" <hari@mindvision.com> wrote:

I've seen many pneumatic PUMP systems.  But my goal is to have a
MindStorms controlled suction system that can lift a LEGO brick
(on the flat side of course).  But before I get that far...  I
cannot seem to get my pump to "suck", it only "pumps" -- hence the
name, I guess ;-)

Only the original pneumatic system had "suction" capability. The
pump and the piston were actually identical units, other than the
pump having a spring on it. A special valve brick was used that
contained two one way valves to make sure air flowed in the proper
direction to actuate the piston.

Lego stopped doing it that way though, and switched to having two
inputs on the pistons and using pressure in both directions to move
the piston.

The nice thing I found about the older system wasn't so much the
suction, but that you could hook up other single input devices
instead of the Lego piston. My favorite to hook up was a flattened
Hi-C drink box. I'd shove the tube in the straw hole, seal around
it with some clay or other sticky stuff, and pump it full of air
and use it as a jack. I could lift the clothes dryer (albeit not
very far, the drink box isn't huge) with it. :-)

---
Chris Osborn                      FozzTexx Enterprises
707 226 7629 - Voice              2136 Coronado Ave.
707 581 1797 - Fax                Napa, CA 94559
<fozztexx@fozztexx.com>           <http://www.fozztexx.com/>