 Robotics / 552
Re: moving in a straight line with two motors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 18:48:37 GMT

=====================================
Don Forth ( Klaatu )
email: dforth@caro.net
Home Page: http://www.caro.net/~donfor
=====================================
Eric Brandwine wrote in message ...
"jsk" == John Scott Kjellman <jkjellman@ameritech.net> writes:
At one point, in the distant past, I saw plans for a gear box that
used either 2 or 3 differentials, I do not remember which.

2 motors were used, 1 to drive both axles, one for steering.

axle1 == motor1 + motor2
axle2 == motor1 - motor2

With motor2 off, 1 on, the vehicle (most likely treaded), will track
straight, in forward or reverse.  With motor1 off, 2 on, the vehicle
will spin in place.  Combinations of the 2 will do the obvious.

In order to regain the power of having 2 drive motors, you can run 2
motors off one output port, and couple the shafts together.  Of
course, that brings the total motor count to 3, rather than 2, but it
still only occupies 2 of the motor outputs.

Check out - http://www.minimal.com/ralph/camcart.html
He has an example of a treaded vehicle that uses this type of system
one motor for forward and backward motion and one for tunring - with a
tank like motion - I have build a small test bot using this and Leo's
page and it works very well - allthough a little slow with the 1:27 gear
ratio