 Robotics / 5428
RE: New Challenge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 19:56:34 GMT

If no further details are provided, than this is a trivial challenge. No
robot needed either. Take a dumbbell with disk weights, put it on a smooth,
hard surface so that it can roll easily. Connect a winch to a Lego motor.
Mount it on a base plate, and make sure it doesn't slide around easily. Take
a string, tie one end to the winch, and the other end loosely around the
handle bar of the dumbbell. Connect a battery box. Turn on motor. Bingo,
dumbbell moves.

Variations would use a vehicle that pulls or pushes the dumbbell.

building challenges?  Something that's challenging, yet actually can be
accomplished.  The result:

The Tractor Pull
Objective:  Build a Lego bot that will move a 10lb. dumbell.

Okay, I know it's not that challenging programming-wise, but I'll
guarantee
it's harder than it looks for you builders and gear heads.

Give it a whirl.