 Robotics / 5422
Re: I love my Akro-Mils Portable Organizers (was Re: Rolykits)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 06:13:18 GMT

David,

      It sounds like u r a discriminating user.  I have not yet tried any of the
storage kits plugged on this mailing list, & so have no real opinion.

Michael Aaron

David Kadansky wrote:

Those Akro-Mils Parts Storage are !!The Best!! IMHO for Technics bits.

I bought mine at Frye's in California. I have three, one of each size.

The lid storage is great for little bits such as pegs, bushings and other
tiny parts.

The rounded bottoms wonderfully enable adult-sized fingers to pick up a tiny
part.

On the other hand, for bricks, beams and plates larger than 1x1 I use
Flambeau rectangular cases.

-dk

Chris Phillips wrote:

   I've been pretty happy with a storage container that I got from my local
hardware store, manufactured by Arko-Mils, Inc:

    http://www.akro-mils.com/

... or more specifically ...

    http://www.akro-mils.com/homeorg.htm

   I was using one of their "large portable organizers" (I paid about $17
US) to hold all of my important Mindstorms and Technics parts until a recent
buying spree put me over the top.  This past weekend I picked up one of the
"small portable organizers" for about $12 to add some expansion space.  They
also have other toolboxes and organizers that might be of interest.

   These are pretty good for holding enough pieces to do some real damage on
the road.  The lids have many small compartments (with removable dividers
and rounded bottoms) that can hold sorted small pieces, and the main
compartment can be divided into (about six?) smaller compartments.  When
closed and latched, the cases can be transported without mixing pieces
between compartments.  I find the lid storage great for small pieces and the
bins good for bulk storge of bricks and beams.  (But get rid of the foam
padding that they give you -- it'll just eat up precious cubic inches.)

   The major drawback to this type of container is that you MUST firmly
close the lid compartment whenever you want to get something out of a bottom
bin.  But this is only a minor PITA compared with the days when I just
dumped everything into one big bin and fished around forever looking for
each Lego piece.

   I hope this information is helpful.

Chris Phillips

p.s.  Remove ".deathtospam" from my return address when replying via e-mail.