 Robotics / 5411
Re: MIT handy board or laptop..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 19:39:12 GMT

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999, Dennis Clark wrote:
If I were doing this I'd probably try and find an old 8086 or 286
laptop and write DOS software on it.  Then you'll have better low
level control of the parallel port, and they are much cheaper too.

  DOS!  Phah!  Use a real OS like Linux.  Why get a more powerful computer
and then make it stupid and unreliable? 8^()

That would be great if you could show me a 8086 or 286 that ran Linux.
You can get Xenix (or could get Xenix) for 286 machines, but you probably
can't write the low-level device drivers to run the I/O ports that you'll
be custom building for your sensors.

If you just want hardware access then DOS is a great bootstrap engine.

The reason for using 8086-type laptops is that they can be picked up
at places like the Goodwill and garage sales for next to nothing.  If
you are building devices that use the parallel port for I/O then this is
nice, because if you blow a parallel port it isn't expensive to get a
new one (just buy another cheap laptop).

alex