 Robotics / 5270
5269  |  5271
Subject:
Constructopedia and Lego Patterns
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 15:30:53 GMT

Speaking of actually building - I'd like to give a big thanks to Ricardo for
his pointer to Fred Martin's "The Art of Lego Design".  (& thanks to Fred,
too)

My background is software and getting the Lego to stay together is
definitely the hard part for me. This is a great document, which I highly
recommend - it showed me solutions to a bunch of problems I was pretty much
stuck with. (as a reminder it's at
ftp://cherupakha.media.mit.edu/pub/people/fredm/artoflego.pdf
<ftp://cherupakha.media.mit.edu/pub/people/fredm/artoflego.pdf> )

The Constructopedia
(http://el.www.media.mit.edu/groups/el/projects/constructopedia/
<http://el.www.media.mit.edu/groups/el/projects/constructopedia/>  ) is a
great idea.

A big deal in software design at the moment is the "Patterns Movement". This
is an effort to collect "software cliches" - as Fred's document collects
"Lego Cliches". There's a good fit here, in fact I think pattern languages
of Lego design make a great deal of sense - and would be very helpful.

One of the motivations for the patterns movement in software is the
observation that people keep inventing the same solutions to the same
problems. This is also true for Lego. I for one hope to see many additions
to the original cliches. I think that organizing them as patterns makes some
sense, not that I care what format they're in or how they're written up,
what I really care about is how they're cataloged.

Is there currently a mechanism whereby people can submit Lego design
patterns (and browse those submitted)? I don't mean completed designs,
though these are useful too, but design components, a vocabulary of Lego
design we can each use in our constructions.

(By the way, it is indeed angular velocity and linear acceleration. Think of
an object in orbit - it is accelerating linearly due to gravity - it's
actually falling - but it also has constant angular velocity.)

-g