 Robotics / 5208
5207  |  5209
Subject:
gearing down
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 17:34:31 GMT

Non-LEGO alert:

Speaking of gearing down, in February I bought a Tamiya planetary gear
set at Frys.  At maximum reduction it gives me a 400:1 reduction.  I
glued it onto a couple bricks and the height was perfect.  I've been
very happy with it.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any more
of them. Frys has only had the Tamiya worm gear sets.  Anybody know
where to get some of these Tamiya planetary gear sets?

Roland

-----Original Message-----
From: Antony Furneaux [mailto:antony@wellic.remove.this.demon.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 1999 7:36 AM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: Fun with MindStorms Rotational Sensors

I had two of these gearing down blocks, one of each type. They must
both have stripped gears in side now because they both slip when
under strain. The 2x4x3 square gearing down block must have used
a worm gear because you could not use it to gear up. The other type
could not be used to gear up a motor, too hard work for a motor(not
sure about the new type motors though).