 Robotics / 5182
Re: rotation sensor question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 20:18:52 GMT

John A. Tamplin <jat@liveonthenet.com> wrote:
On Fri, 28 May 1999, Luis Villa wrote:
A quick question for those of you that have rotation sensors- do they
spin freely, or would they add significant friction to a setup? I ask
because I'd like to experiment with a balancing problem, and would need
to measure the angle of a pole without significantly changing how it
falls.  I'm wondering if the angle sensors from Dacta will fill that
role. Please let me know...

There is very little turning resistance, but then this isn't a
ball-bearing shaft with lubrication.  It is probably as little as you can
expect from a Lego part.

As for using them for a balancing problem, Luis will probably want to gear
up the axle at the pivot point to get a more-accurate measurement than the
1/16th rotation that the rotation sensor provides.  This might add some
friction on its own, and will probably multiply the friction at the
rotation sensor by the gear ratio.  Not that big a deal, it just means he
might have to beef up the size of the pole, and therefore the size of the
whole system (except the rotation sensor and associated gears).

-Kekoa