 Robotics / 5161
Re: IR Tower range
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 19:37:55 GMT

     I am pretty sure that the official Lego product documentation claims
that the IR tower range is 90 feet in "long range" mode.  I've never tried
anything over about 20 or 30 feet, but it has always worked well for me.  I
was originally surprised at how well the IR worked when I first installed
RCX Command Center and tried out its Joystick Control mode.  No matter which
direction the robot was facing, it seemed to do a great job of picking up
the IR signal from the tower.

     Also, (I've never tried this, but...) Radio Shack sells an IR repeater
for about $50 (for using your remotes from another room) that could probably
be used to improve coverage and range of the IR setup considerably, if it
was a problem in your setup.