 Robotics / 5156
Re: IR Tower range
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 08:42:48 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Tim Gion) writes:
Can someone tell me what the effective range of the IR tower is?  Also,
is the IR beam emitted in a cone?

Tim, I haven't done any precise experiment about the effective range. In my
experience, the actual range depends on many factors:

- the orientation of both the IR tower and the RCX
- reflecting surfaces in your room
- interferences

I'd say in the long range mode, with the tower and the RCX facing each other,
you should cover at least 4 or 5 meters (13-16').

I don't have any (yet), but I suppose that Cybermaster is better suited to
real-time PC to robot communications because it uses radio frequency instead
of IR.

Mario