 Robotics / 4924
4923  |  4925
Subject:
Removal of the LED in Light Sensors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 20:02:46 GMT

There is a common operation on LEGO light sensors that involves removal of the
LED. The belief is; If the LED is removed, then the sensor works better as an
ambient light sensor. I have simulated the LEGO light sensor circuit with and
without the LED to quantify the effect. When the LED is removed it takes a
little more light to make the sensor start to read anything but 0, but then it
operates over the same light level range as before. My conclusion is: Removal
of the LED creates a sensor with more resolution (0 to 100) vs (20 to 100)
while slightly loosing low light level sensitivity and loosing the ability to
use it as a reflective sensor.

Details are on my web page:
http://www.plazaearth.com/usr/gasperi/lego.htm under the LEGO Light Sensor
topic.