 Robotics / 487
Re: Multiplexing Input Circuit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 16:26:32 GMT

Larry Coffin wrote:

        Is your counter set up as a binary counter? From your diagram it
looks like there are times that more than one sensor would be active -- say
on count 3 both O0 and O1 would be active, right?

        Do you need to have bit 5 connected to the reset line? I would
think you could simply continue counting -- the other lines might go high
but the four lines you are using should just wrap back around.

        From your diagram it looks like your sensors are sharing a direct
connection to the RCX input port. Did you have any trouble with orientation
of the contact on the RCX? When I tried the same setup (through my MUX
though) I found that I would get bad sensor readings when it was connected
in one orientation and good readings when rotated 180 degrees. I assumed
that there was something going on that had one sensor continue to feed a
signal back to the RCX even after it was not supposed to be selected.

The counter is a CMOS decade counter that has only one output high for each
count.  There is only one analog switch on at a time.  The counter is reset
when it hits the value 5 so it jumps back to 0 to start over.

The analog switch is bidirectional and I don't think there are any problems
with signal polarity.

You could use a binary counter and a real analog mux for this circuit and get a
lot of inputs but these were the parts I had.

Thanks for the input. Mike G.