 Robotics / 4850
Re: New creation: Lego Clock
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 21:30:41 GMT

From: Dennis Clark <dlc@verinet.com>
  I still don't know really what you are talking about, this is the first
that I have heard of using that FO thingee as an angle sensor/counter. • How
does it work in NQC?

Treat the FO device as a light sensor.  As you turn it you can see it switch
between two values (a high value and a low value).  Count those values and
you have a rotation sensor.  Its probably easiest to make a thread which
does this for you, and stores the count in a global.

The downside is that you can't determine direction with it (like you can
with the true rotation sensor).  If you are just trying to find the speed of
one of your motors this isn't an issue, since you inherently know the
direction already.

I bought one of these devices on sale (in the fiber optic multiset), but
haven't had a chance to play with it yet (besides hooking it up and using
the watch mode on the RCX display).

alex