 Robotics / 483
Re: Main ROM routine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 11:30:13 GMT

Kekoa Proudfoot wrote:

To adjust the PWM, you need to override the motor part of the OCIA routine,
which is hardcoded to rotate a single byte per motor, using the LSB to
modulate two control bits stored elsewhere using a 1 ms waveform.  Servo
control will therefore be slightly more difficult to do, as servos require
accurate pulses in the 1-2 ms range, if I remember correctly.

This bit was me, for the record:

So is f000 the memory-mapped motor drivers? If I've understood it, efca
contains the direction bitmaps (10 for one way, 01 for the other,
11xx2233 is the byte layout, if you see what I mean), f000 and efce are
the same layout, but modulated by efcb-efcd (which do the PWM,
effectively). efce gets set up with the _next_ value, and f000 is the
actual hardware. Right?

Memory-mapped motor drivers, yes.  A strange way to do things.  But f000 is
only written and never read, so it must be that way.

Not that strange - when I worked on embedded systems, we often did this.
When you get down to it, from the electronics point of view, the
difference between I/O and memory is typically just 1 signal line and
the number of significant address bits. The advantage for firmware is
often that there are far more ways to address memory than I/O ports,
though it hardly seems to matter in this case. It may even be that
they've only bothered with a partial decode, in which case, you may find
that f0xx works, too.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
Ben Laurie            |Phone: +44 (181) 735 0686| Apache Group member
Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 735 0689|http://www.apache.org/