 Robotics / 4686
Re: Using Lego IR outside of Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 13:19:18 GMT

Previously, you (Martin Puller) wrote:
I have the Lego IR hardware on my desktop computer and now have a
laptop with built-in IR.  Is there any way to use the Lego IR as a
"regular" IR transmitter, ie to send files to the laptop?  In looking
over the message history on here, it looks like the Lego IR is
s-l-o-w, but I'm not up on IR at all, so I thought I'd ask before I
worried about it. :)

If your laptop has one of the newer (1997) or later super-io chips
as the controller for the IR, you may be able to get it to communicate
with the tower. The trick is to setup the chip into SHARP IR mode
(which transmits data at 38.4k on a 500khz carrier) and then program
the chip for internal demodulation, 40khz carrier and the correct
baud rate.

Martin