 Robotics / 4595
4594  |  4596
Subject:
IRPD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 16:22:01 GMT

I'm working on getting IRPD to no only avoid obstacles but also identify
objects.  Primarily I am trying to get it to identify a coke can for the
RCX Challenge.  When the IRPD finds an obstacle, the robot turns left until
the obstacle detection ceases.  It then sets a counter and turns right
(while incrementing the counter) until the obstacle detection ceases again.
At the end of this process the counter contains the width of the object.
This measurement can be used to determine how to proceed.  i.e. pick up the
coke can or avoid the wall.

Anyone else experimented with object detection?

Joel Shafer    joel@connect.net