 Robotics / 4544
  preventing IR tower shutdown

Hi, I am trying to figure out how to prevent the IR tower from shutting down. I disassembled the tower, but I am really not a hardware expert. My educated guess would be that it might be enough to remove the big, silver capacitor that is sitting (...) (25 years ago, 14-Apr-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: preventing IR tower shutdown

(...) I'm going to go at it from the other direction, I am writing an IDE (32 bit windows) for the pbFORTH system. My intention is to send a keepalive character every now and then to stop the tower going to sleep, at the moment I am debugging FORTH (...) (25 years ago, 14-Apr-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: preventing IR tower shutdown

This just might explain a problem I am having with a VB program. After a while my battery meter function stops getting a reply from the RCX. It calls the RCX every 10 secs from a Timer control event. Then all of a sudden, while the RCX is still on (...) (25 years ago, 14-Apr-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: preventing IR tower shutdown

(...) I had a problem that happened a lot to me in Visual C++ and that might be or not be related with your problem. Simply put, what happened was that a simple FOR/WHILE cycle waiting for a response of the unit was so processor intensive, that the (...) (25 years ago, 14-Apr-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: preventing IR tower shutdown

(...) In VB you would probably want to put a DoEvents in such a tight loop. -- Did you check the web site first?: (URL) (25 years ago, 15-Apr-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: preventing IR tower shutdown

(...) Usually a capacitor lives across the power lines, and introducing a wire would be a good way of drianing the battery, burning the wire and possibly yourself!!! DON'T DO THIS... Cheers, Ralph Hempel - P.Eng ---...--- Check out pbFORTH for LEGO (...) (25 years ago, 15-Apr-99, to lugnet.robotics)