 Robotics / 4370
Re: multi-device output controller (fwd)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 16:26:31 GMT

How about an RCX to RS232 connection to use off the shelf components?

Check out this link.

http://www.sbsi.net/bin2/hazel.exe?client=59089090&action=serve&item=electro
nics/motor_driver_interfaces.html

MondoTronics sells a simple serial servo contol that services up to 8 motors
via an rs232 port ($49.95).  I have seen a simple version adapted for a Palm
Pilot for $89.00 that services 8 servos as well.

To get the multimotor control that you want and MANY other other devices,
all you need is a way to drive an RS232 port on the RCX.  Has anyone thought
about how this might be done?

As an example, using a BASIC Stamp 2, you can drive an RS232 port and use
the other 8 lines to contol the I/O to the RCX.

As a new reader of this list (with a Mindstorm set and a Pilot!) I was
wondering whether anyone has already done this.  The parts cost using a
Stamp to do this is high; a naked PIC may be a more cost effective solution.

I like the ide that you have but like you, I am not a hardware engineer!
Buy and program is my model.

Thanks for the great idea.