 Robotics / 4277
Re: Ultimate Starter Sets / Add-Ons for Mindstorm? Reprise
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 17:34:56 GMT

Lewis, James C. wrote in message
<000e01be6c1f$493be2c0$490998cd@bims009073.bims009073.bims.bellsouth.net>...
Mindstrom fans seem to go through a lot of grief finding or ordering just
the right set of parts. I recently read a memo on the 'net lamenting  some
of the shortcomings of the Lego system: it is difficult to build certain
structures, things must fit "just right" and at certain angles, etc. One of
the main points was that it was difficult to just arrive at a working
structure intuitively my playing around.

Has anyone experimented with using the RCX and sensors as the brains of a
'bot but using another building system such as KNEX or Erector to cunstruct
most of the mechanisms? If one could develop a method of adapting the best
of Lego to a more flexible or cheaper set of building components, it might
make things easier and more intuitive. Any ideas or examples?

LEGO ZNAP is 'perfect' for building large robots. It's relatively light,
suited for large structures, and it's very easy to build with by
inexperienced builders. Technic mechanisms can easily be added as modules.
Also ZNAP has flex drive axles, so you don't need gear trains and exact fits
to connect motors to their target.

Eric Brok
Visit LEGO ON MY MIND:
http://www.svc.fcj.hvu.nl/brok/legomind