 Robotics / 4240
Re: Ultimate Starter Sets / Add-Ons for Mindstorm? Reprise
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 00:28:41 GMT

Mindstrom fans seem to go through a lot of grief finding or ordering just
the right set of parts. I recently read a memo on the 'net lamenting  some
of the shortcomings of the Lego system: it is difficult to build certain
structures, things must fit "just right" and at certain angles, etc. One of
the main points was that it was difficult to just arrive at a working
structure intuitively my playing around.

Has anyone experimented with using the RCX and sensors as the brains of a
'bot but using another building system such as KNEX or Erector to cunstruct
most of the mechanisms? If one could develop a method of adapting the best
of Lego to a more flexible or cheaper set of building components, it might
make things easier and more intuitive. Any ideas or examples?

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephan B. Wessels <stephan.wessels@sdrc.com>
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Date: Wednesday, March 10, 1999 6:40 PM
Subject: Re: Ultimate Starter Sets / Add-Ons for Mindstorm? Reprise

Kipling Morris wrote:

What is the difference between an idler and a clutch gear? Is the idler • the
one with no geared spoke? The clutch the one with the tolerence • threshhold?

I might not have the names correct but yes that's what I meant.  The idler • gear
has no center teeth and the clutch will let go after a certain torque limit
gets hit.

   Getting some of the chain links from Pitsco #77937 is a great idea. • Their
kit has over 100 links in it.

Do you use chains alot?  For what applications?

I started to see chains as a solution to "action at a distance" kinds of
problems where I wanted to, for example, rotate a steering shaft that was
located parallel to but far away from the main body or vehicle.  Chains • looks
cool too.

Any way Steve - thanks for the detailed reply!! Let me know if you have • any
other great finds or sugestions!

Kip

Welcome to you!

- Steve