 Robotics / 4105
Re: Three-wheel Synchro Drive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 21:14:06 GMT

On 3 Mar 1999, Russell Nelson wrote:

Even easier (as Paul Speed pointed out afterwards), use a pair of
bevel gears, and put the wheel at the same distance from the shaft as
its diameter.  I modelled one of them, and it works great!  Only thing
I don't like is that the wheel is offset from the mounting shaft so
the bogey has a torque exerted on it.

Pictures: http://www.crynwr.com/lego-robotics/bogey.jpg and
http://www.crynwr.com/lego-robotics/bogey1.jpg

That's why I mentioned the gearing ratio, if you change the gearing from the
power shaft to the tire, you can move the tire closer than that.  I used
a 24t crown gear to make the 90 degree transition, then a 24t to 40t gear
reduction so I could put the large tires that come with RIS (anybody know
a source for more of those particular tires other than another RIS?) closer
to the center of rotation than the radius of the tire.

John A. Tamplin Traveller Information Services
jat@Traveller.COM 2104 West Ferry Way
256/705-7007 - FAX 256/705-7100 Huntsville, AL 35801