 Robotics / 4062
4061  |  4063
Subject:
Inchworm
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 21:38:14 GMT

Pointless Invention Of The Week:

I've put together a Lego "inchworm" using the MindStorms RIS and a few
more pieces.  Utterly silly, good for a chuckle or two.  Pictures at:

http://www.freenet.tlh.fl.us/~beatty/robots/inchworm_extended.jpg
http://www.freenet.tlh.fl.us/~beatty/robots/inchworm_retracted.jpg
http://www.freenet.tlh.fl.us/~beatty/robots/inchworm_side.jpg

...It has no sensors, and it uses the RCX as nothing but a dumb battery
box.  The "program" is simply "turn on the motors and leave them
running."

The body of the inchworm is designed to flex and unflex itself,
alternating between a shape like a "C" and a shape like a "(".  The
motors are used only for flexing and stretching the body; the wheels are
unmotorized and freewheeling, having only a ratchet to keep them from
turning the wrong direction.

As the contraption flexes and stretches, it moves itself along slowly,
inchworm-fashion.  It's not about to win any awards for elegant design
(I cobbled it together while watching a movie video), but it's fun to
watch it humping along.