 Robotics / 3950
3949  |  3951
Subject:
OFF-TOPIC - Spelling flames
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 21:07:55 GMT

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Steve Bryan wrote:
When making critical comments about people for whom English is a second
language, it would be a good idea to avoid simple spelling errors:

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Matthew Hunter wrote:
A sentence containing circa 47 words (with the word "post" repeated 5 times)
could best be described as circumlocutory, but to use a passage peppered with
grammatical error when decrying another's stupidity is merely ignorant.

While I agree that spelling and grammatical errors are not desirable,
neither of you addressed the original point. The list was spammed with
several "get me off this list" messages. That generated a flame. The
flame was flamed with "maybe English is not the first language of this
person". And *that* response generated "since when is that an excuse for
stupidity?".

Whether or not the spammer knew English well is not the point. The point is
that spamming the list with "get me off this list" is stupid. Albeit, in
this case, effective.

Dave Taira     | Broken pipes, broken tools, people bending broken rules /   |
Hired Gun      | Hound dog howlin', bullfrog croakin' / Everything is broken |
bodhi@foad.org | --Bob Dylan, "Everything is Broken"                         |