 Robotics / 3553
Re: Mindstorms Novice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 21:40:52 GMT

Mark,

Thanks for the tips and links.  I'll build an add/sub this week and try
out another walker.

--
Thomas Main
main@appstate.edu

Mark Tarrabain wrote:

Thomas Main wrote:

Walker:

I built a walker based on the leg design #7 on page 27 of the
Constructopedia.  Unfortunately, everytime i tried to run this bot, my
motors would get so out of sync that it would barely move and instead
just sort of swayed from side to side.  Are everyone's motors this
out-of sync?  I rebuilt the model using only one motor to power both
wheels and it worked fine - except I can't steer with only one motor.
Any thoughts about the motor speed difference or work-around solutions
would be appreciated.

Ah-ha!  This looks like a job for... (insert fanfare here) Leo's infamous
"adder/subtractor", tentatively being called the "differtrans".  Of course,
you'll need another differential unit -- the RIS only comes with one.  Spare
parts set 5229 has a differential and several gears, and is probably the
easiest way to get an additional one.

For details on the adder/subtractor, check out the following URL's:

(pilfered shamelessly from another message on this newsgroup)
    http://carol.wins.uva.nl/~leo/lego/diff.html
    http://www.phred.org/~alex/lego/wanderer.html
    http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Surf/6112/
    http://www.steamboat-software.com/~dhm/
    http://www.jumpgate.com/
    http://members.xoom.com/legorobotica/project4/camcart_en.html
    http://www.phred.org/~alex/lego/plat.html
    http://www.phred.org/~alex/lego/dadsdesign.html

I would highly recommend actually building one to see how it works... its
operation is not that obvious from many of the pictures and drawings that I
have seen.  Although many refer to a special 1x1 technic brick with a hole,
or a 2x1 brick with 2 holes, it is not, in fact, necessary to use such
unusual pieces to build one.  My simplest (and tiniest) implementation
doesn't use any such pieces.  I'll try to describe it verbally:  I had the
differentials mounted parallel to eachother so that their centers are 4 studs
apart.  I used four 8-tooth gears, placing one on each of the axles coming
out of the differentials.  On one side of the unit, I used one 24-tooth gear
directly between the 8-tooth gears, and on the other side of the unit, I used
two 16-tooth gears between the 8-tooth gears, each mounted diagonally 1
brick-height above and 1 stud sideways offset from the 8-tooth gears.  If
anybody's curious, I have an ldraw file that illustrates this, but if one is
already familiar with the device, I would imagine that the concept is simple
enough to grasp from a verbal description. (also I'm sorta new to ldraw, and
I would imagine that the way I've chosen to do things in it probably bites).

Mark