 Robotics / 3481
Re: Synchro Drive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 14:01:29 GMT

I am working on building a platform using the idea from the "Syncho
Drive"

<SNIP>

The problem I am having is that turning one "leg" induces a turn in the
shaft used to supply power to the wheel.

<SNIP>

I built my first Synchro Drive platform last night and have, of course,
encountered the same problem. I, too, toyed fruitlessly with hideously
complex gear trains with differentials, trying to accomodate the odd
gear ratios that result from using the large Technic turntables.

Here's a quick ASCII sketch of one corner of my platform:

IIIIIIIIIIIII(O)     48 tooth gear / worm gear
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX~
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX~
IIIIIIIIIIIIIII(O)    56 tooth turn / worm gear
  X    |    X
  X CCCCCCC X         C = 24 tooth crown gear
  X S       X         S = 24 tooth sprocket
=X S-------X=        = = chain links (w/16 tooth sprockets)
=X STTTTT  X=        T = tire
=X  TTTTT  X=
=X--TTTTT--X=
     TTTTT
     TTTTT
     TTTTT

That should clear things up 8-P

Anyway, since I used worm gears powered directly from Technic gear
motors to drive both the 48t gear attached to the drive train and the
56t gear that rotates the wheels, the gear ratios (and therefore,
speeds) of the two systems are very close, but not quite the same. If I
power the motors that turn the wheels in one direction and the drive
motors in the other, the wheels turn just a little - in the opposite
direction as before, since the drive train is a little faster. I was
thinking about putting angle sensors on both gear trains and programming
the RCX to pulse the drive motors to compensate when the wheels are
turning.

Did that make any sense? Is this an imbecilic idea?

Regards,
Issac.