 Robotics / 3472
Re: Angle Sensor; 1999 Catalog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 02:36:44 GMT

Bob Stern wrote in message ...
I just received the PitscoDacta 1999 catalog
It includes a 9-volt Angle Sensor, part N979891, for $27.75.  I
imagine it outputs angle or number of revolutions directly, which
should be better than the rotation sensor that uses a perforated
rotating disc with an optical sensor.

This is the RCX Angle or Rotation sensor.  It outputs a series of 4 analog
values that are converted into a kind of angle by the RCX.  You get 16
counts per revolution or 22.5 degrees.  You could do better or worse than
this with something homebrew.  The only problem you have with doing better
(that is more counts) is that if the shaft is turing too fast the RCX can
not keep up.  The LEGO sensor can keep up with a motor directly connected to
it.  There is more information on the LEGO Rotation sensor and a homebrew
version on my web page:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Michael_Gasperi/lego.htm