 Robotics / 3293
3292  |  3294
Subject:
Rotation and Touch Sensors on one input
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 15:28:09 GMT

I was playing around with legOS 0.1.5 last night (thanks for legOS Markus) and
was able to get the rotation sensor code working fairly well. While doing this
and looking at the RAW values the ratation sensor returns, I noticed that they
are all significantly higher than the value returned by a pressed touch sensor.

I added a touch sensor to the same input as the rotation sensor. The presence
of the unpressed touch sensor does not interfere with the operation of the
rotation sensor. When the touch sensor is pressed you get a low value which is
lower than and unique from any rotation senosr value.

Of course while the touch snesor is pressed you cannot get any values from the
rotation sensor, but for many applications which do not require sensing the
intermittent release of a touch sensor this is a highly useful configuration
(for making a robot that goes straight and that can be made to turn a known
number of degrees (based on wheel rotation calculations from the angle
sensors), but still able to detect when it bumps into something).

I think that someone else on this newsgroup mentioned that you can also share
an input between a light sensor and a touch sensor. So it seems it is possible
to have three touch sensors, two rotation sensors and a light sensor all
hooked up at the same time with some restrictions on their operation.

I am not sure how possible this is in SPIRIT.OCX based environments.