 Robotics / 3021
    Sensor monitoring —Bible, Bryan
   I have a project that I am building, it is a finish line monitor for a pinewood derby track. What I am doing is putting two light sensors above the track pointing down so the ambient light will change when the car crosses the finish line. One sensor (...) (25 years ago, 20-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Sensor monitoring —Michael Gasperi
     (...) I think the sensors are read every 3ms and the value stored somewhere. I don't think they are read just when you ask for them in software. You get the last value read. I base this on the way the rotation sensor and some of the sensor modes (...) (25 years ago, 20-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Sensor monitoring —Paul Haas
     (...) The H8 object code reading crowd may know for sure. Those of us with dual trace oscilliscopes can also figure it out. An oscilliscope can show when a port in light sensor mode is being read. With a dual trace scope we can see if the sensors (...) (25 years ago, 21-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Sensor monitoring —Michael Gasperi
     (...) I got around to looking at two inputs at the same time with a dual trace scope. All of the inputs go into the 5V read at the same time! That doesn't say they are read by the uP at the same time, but the switch between power and read and back (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Sensor monitoring —Chris Stanley
     according to the sdk, all tasks are run in parallel, with each task being visited round-robin and executing one instruction. this would mean they are not being monitored at *exactly* the same time, but i would think a tight loop in two tasks (...) (25 years ago, 20-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Sensor monitoring —Zachary A. Bourk
     Bryan: make touch plates. use some heavy metal foil in swaths across each chute. When the derby car crosses the finish line, it depresses a curved piece of foil, thus breaking (or making, your choice) an electrical connection and maybe turning on a (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Sensor monitoring —Mark Dollar
   I'm new here and don't have much experience yet with the RCX, but I was just wondering... Is it possible to attach both sensors to a single input using one of the multi-input multiplexers (voltage divider arrangements) that I've read about on here? (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Sensor monitoring —Michael Gasperi
   (...) You can multiplex simple switchs that way, but not the light sensor. I requires power and outputs an analog value. (25 years ago, 22-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Sensor monitoring —Mark Dollar
   (...) that (...) What about using homebrew light sensors made from CdS photoresistors? Seems like it would be possible to multiplex them since they don't require power. (25 years ago, 23-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

   Mark Dollar wrote in message ... (...) There is no passive way to multiplex analog values into an analog value. With extra electronics you could threshold each CdS sensors level to a binary signal and then convert them to back to analog. For an (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)