 Robotics / 2873
Re: Automatic transmission update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 02:04:02 GMT

When are you going to be putting some pictures up. I know of a few of us
really want(need) to see some pictures even if they are drawings.

Clay Aucoin

Andrew Carol <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
<199811270218.UAA25508@dfw-ix13.ix.netcom.com>...
I've redesigned the automatic transmission and made it much more compact
with lots fewer gears.
(I hope to take pictures of this and load it somewhere...)

A big breakthrough was to change how I combined the high and low gear with • a
differential.  Previously I used each side axle as an input and used the
gear on the body as an output.  Now I use one side axle as the low gear
input, and the differential body gear as the high gear input.  This leaves
the remaining axle as the output.

This allows me to place the differential in a much more favorable position
relative to the core of the transmission, saving at least four gears and
lots of volume

I then built a car to 'test' the transmission.  It rolls on a carpet in • high
gear, but when it encounters a slope (a 3-hole binder), it stalls for a
moment, transitions into low gear, and climbs. When it comes to the top • and
goes back down the ramp on the other side, it switches back to high gear.

The only problem I have is that while very light loads stays firmly in • high
gear, and heavy loads stay firmly in low gear, in-between loads often
oscillate between the two gears.  This is because just as it enters low
gear, it moves forward which lightens the load and it pops back.  This
in-between mode acts as an intermediate gear because it does have more • power
than high gear, but it moves in a jerky fashion (and is noisy!).  I am
working on making the switching smoother.

--- Andrew