 Robotics / 2856
RE: IR Proximity Detection via RCX IR Port
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 14:34:35 GMT

Hey, I've got a stupid question.

I've been thinking about the IR Proximity Detection idea, and I wonder:
Why is using the RCX's IR port and a light sensor better than using the
light sensor alone?

I realize its good to be able to pulse the IR light source and watch for
the pulses, but couldn't you pulse the LED on the light sensor (by
switching between IN_SENSOR and IN_RAW mode) and watch for that? Then
your IR Port would be free to communicate fulltime.

Or am I missing something obvious?

I can see the advantage of using IR if you put an IR shield over the
light sensor, preventing it from seeing anything but IR light, in that
you would eliminate a fair amount of false positives, I suppose...

Regards,
Issac.