 Robotics / 2789
Re: Synchro drive in lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:23:17 GMT

Yeah,
I've made these sorts of ratchets before.  The problem
isn't so much making a ratchet as it is ratcheting the wheel
assembly to the platform.  If I had one of those free-spinning
dark grey gears I could do it.  I may finally have to break down
and get some since it would make this system work perfectly.  So
far my biggest complaint about Mindstorms is that it didn't come
with any of these. :)

-Paul (pspeed@augustschell.com)

Carlson, Doug R (MN65) wrote:

could you not (I haven't tried this!) use a ratchet on the assembly so
that axle rotation one way turns the assembly, and the other way drives
the wheel?

Yeah, but I can't think of a good way to ratchet the assembly.

-Paul (pspeed@augustschell.com)

Stuart

I've seen  ratchets made with a pivoting gear rack element in contact with a
24 Tooth gear.
Also, the small bungee racers had a ratchet mechanism also using several 16T
gears.
I'm quite curious to see what other variations of this platform emerge.

-- Doug    ( who just moved and hasn't unpacked the LEGO yet )

carlson_doug@htc.honeywell.com
dcarlson@net-info.com
http://www.net-info.com/~dcarlson