 Robotics / 2782
Re: simple but functional radar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 15:07:00 GMT

I built a little RadarBot just like yours (very minimalist, I love it :)
and wrote some NQC code to drive it around my kitchen floor.  It really
zooms, until the left wheel inevitably falls off.  :)

I like it, our wheels stay on until it destroys itself by running full tilt
into something black...

Our design has two motors at the back driving wheels directly, and two free
running castors at the sides as close to the front as possible, so it
travels at a fair lick when going straight. It also spins around in one
place when blinded by the sun.

Our next iteration will be to sample ambient light in between pings, and
when the light is too bright search (slowly) for somewhere darker to play. A
rotation sensor (yet to be acquired) on each wheel will do for collision
detection when running degraded mode, and also allow us to run in a straight
line at high speed
--
John & James Cooper, Wallington, UK