 Robotics / 27752
Re: Would the last person to leave, please turn out the lights?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 2009 21:25:22 GMT

In lugnet.admin.curators, Brian Davis wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.curators, Adrian Egli wrote:

snip

   What killed off RTL nearly a decade ago was the diversity LUGNET brought to the niches in the LEGO community...

I thought it was spam and rampant commercial use, but I admit I wasn’t around during the rtl years. There are USENET groups that are still thriving, 20 years or more after I first joined them. So I’m really not sure everything always needs to be “updated” to remain alive.

On a funny side note, I saw this posted today over on RTL (yes, it still exists in some places) CAUTION: for the sensitive ears, the post has some foul language, but makes a funny point:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.toys.lego/browse_thread/thread/6c7506b11311b491/0b22771aeb13defd?show_docid=0b22771aeb13defd&pli=1

What it boils down to, AT&T (the ISP) will discontinue carrying Netnews... Google groups might be the only remaining source left for Usenet service.

May not mean anything to anyone, but there is some AFOL history there that should be preserved.

--Mike.