 Robotics / 2740
Re: Jump Frog Jump!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 20:23:04 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcus F. Mellbin <lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com>
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Date: Wednesday, January 13, 1999 2:44 AM
Subject: Jump Frog Jump!

I am building a frog using Lego Mindstorms. But there is one problem, I • cannot
figure out how to make it jump.

    It was mentioned that landing would be tricky, making recovery all the
more difficult.  I was thinking that if you had a centrally located "spike"
that acted as the elastic band stretching mechanism, it could, in the
process of resetting the launching mechanism also act as the uprighting
mechanism.
    To make this more clear, imagine a robot with a beam that swung on a
shaft mounted on the end, and that shaft is at one end of the robot.  The
motor drives the beam, and in the process of rotating, it stretches the
elastic band until it releases on its own, then continues rotating as it
"flies" and if the frog happens to land upside down or on its side,
weighting and the beam serve to right side up your frog.
    I have seen this mechanism to upright some robots, but the purpose
wasn't to jump, I think it was a Robot Wars contender, but that was a long
time ago.  It's kinda hard to explain, but if it needs more explanation, I
will try again, although that means I get to explain how I would do it.  You
mileage may vary!