 Robotics / 27348
Re: Cleaning Battery Terminals
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2008 19:49:41 GMT

"Mark Riley" <markril@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:JuE4tI.t5@lugnet.com...
I haven't posted here in a while, my RCXs having been on a hiatus.  Well,
after
breaking them out again, I discovered that I had foolishly left alkaline
batteries in some of them and of course some of the batteries had started
leak.  This caused apparent corrosion on the battery terminals and I
thought I
was going to have a heck of a time getting them to work properly again.

After a little yahooing, I found some posts on the web that suggested a
dilute
solution of white vinegar might be used to remove the corrosion.  So, I
disassembled the the RCX and seperated the battery contacts from the green
battery backing panel.  I then soaked the contacts and the backing panel
in a
dilute vinegar solution, got a little foaming, rinsed off the components,
dried
them and they are almost as bright again as when they started.  I used a
Q-Tip
and the vinegar solution to gently clean the battery contact pad on the
circuit
board as it had some corrosion on it, too.

I reassembled the RCX and it worked liked a champ again!  Just thought I'd
mention this here as as my search here didn't bring up anything about
this.  I
can easily see others finding themselves in the same predicament.

HTH,

Mark

Your post could not have come at a better time.  I found one of my RCX
battery boxes full of corrosion the other day.  White Vinegar and water does
the trick.  I first hit it with a small file, but that didn't work.  After
about 5 minutes with a Qtip and some solution, it popped back to life.

Thanks.