 Robotics / 27326
Re: Cleaning Battery Terminals
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2008 23:26:02 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, David Koudys wrote:

That's good news!  I'm going to try this soon on some of my 4.5/9 volt battery
boxes.  As far as I can see, the vinegar won't harm the plastic yet should do a
good number on the corroded contacts.

I've usually used very fine sandpaper in the past, but I'm going to try this.

I just finished a second RCX and while the terminals aren't as shiny as the
previous RCX, the RCX fired right up after I reassembled it.  The crud on this
latest RCX's terminals was bluish green so I suspect the outer silver layer got
eaten through to some copper underneath.  The vinegar cleans up the white crud
off the plastic really well, too.

Anything new on the LDCC front?  :)  I'm still using it on my layouts and having
a blast!

That's great to hear you're still using it!  I think there will be some more
work done on LDCC given the reason I started using my RCXs this time.  I've been
fooling around with N scale model trains and got around to installing some
decoders in a few locos so I thought I'd try out LDCC with the N scale locos.
It actually works fairly decent but the low voltage (9V) really doesn't let the
trains get up any steam.  So, I'm ordering parts to build a small 3A booster
which runs at 12 to 14 volts.

One of the things I left off finishing on LDCC last time was support for the
Spybot/Manas remotes as throttles.  I just looked at the code and there's a bit
more work to get that done.  Getting that to work will save me from spending big
bucks on the commercial DCC equipment with wireless walk around remotes, etc.  I
also have a small list of other things I want to get working on LDCC, as well.

Cheers,

Mark