 Robotics / 27250
Re: Serenity, an autonomous NXT-based boat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2007 18:34:25 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Mr S <szinn_the1@yahoo.com> wrote:

...it seems that if were to use the treads with small paddles
attached, it would push the splashing part to the rear, give
skid steering, and still provide good propulsion, similar to
the corkscrew idea.

It's a good thought - in fact, my first attempt was to use the front treaded
"flippers" on LNE/Packbot so that Packbot could drive onto a "floatation frame",
and either power or deploy its own "water tread" propulsion. That idea fell
afoul of the weight of LNE and the bouancy limits of a reasonable-sized frame,
but I might revisit it now with the boat hulls. I never did test the rubber
treads in water, but your idea is a good one, as the newer treads have enough of
a "ridge" on the tread itself to maybe make some headway. Adding paddles might
make for a very novel propulsion system, that can drive right off the "beach"
and into the water, a truly amphibious NXT robot.

The treads being only 1.25 inches wide or so would
make for easy splash shielding??

Since all the splashing would likely be at the rear end of the treads (where
they are coming out of the water), it might not need a lot of shielding at all
(just keep the electronics well forward of the rear end of the treads).

--
Brian Davis