 Robotics / 27028
Re: BrickFest™ 2007 Mindstorms Events Wrapup
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2007 18:38:35 GMT

(Forgot to cross-post to robotics)

It's been a couple weeks since BrickFest was over, but I wanted to thank
everyone involved in the Mindstorms activities. I've only now had a chance to
upload the many megabytes of videos that I wanted to have ready before I posted
the results of the competitions. Congratulations again to the winners!

Previously I've posted pictures of the Mindstorms activities here:
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=245639>

Robotic Easter Egg Hunt Results
===============================

This competition required robots to look for chocolate Easter eggs, and deposit
them over the edges of the arena. Points were given for each egg collected, and
deposited. There were also bonus points for having ears, and being able to move.
We had 6 competitors. One of them, unable to collect eggs, only got the bonus
points, and so there is no video of this robot. There were two classes of this
competition. First was individual, and second, all robots competing for the eggs
together on the field at the same time.

Normally in a robot competition, robots must be completely autonomous. But since
none of the robots were very reliable, the judges allowed the builders to help
trigger the touch sensors (or other sensors) if they needed help. So
occasionally you'll see someone touching their robot during a run.

For the individual class, the points given were as follows:
1 point for each egg held
3 points for each egg deposited over edge
7 points for each egg deposited at corner
5 bonus points (2 for having 'ears', 3 for being able to move)

Each robot was given two chances, the best score counting. Here are the results,
in order:

Peter Ehrlich          5x7 + 5 bonus = 40
Gus Jansson            3x3 + 5 bonus = 14
Todd Thuma             7x1 + 5 bonus = 12
Andrew Schilling       4x1 + 5 bonus = 9
Walt White                   5 bonus = 5

There was also a local First LEGO League team, the Nanites, that wanted to
participate. They did very well! Their score was 12x3 + 3x7 + 5 bonus = 62.

Video of the individual robot classes.
Each round was three minutes long. So on average, these videos are 14Mb each.
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/RoboticEasterEggHunt/AndrewSchilling1.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/RoboticEasterEggHunt/AndrewSchilling2.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/RoboticEasterEggHunt/FLLTeamNanites1.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/RoboticEasterEggHunt/FLLTeamNanites2.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/RoboticEasterEggHunt/GusJansson1.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/RoboticEasterEggHunt/GusJansson2.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/RoboticEasterEggHunt/PeterEhrlich1.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/RoboticEasterEggHunt/PeterEhrlich2.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/RoboticEasterEggHunt/ToddThuma1.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/RoboticEasterEggHunt/ToddThuma2.avi>

For the multi-robot round, the point system was as follows:
2 points for each egg held
5 points for each egg deposited over edge

Interestingly, early in the round, all but one of the robots got tangled in a
big mess in one corner of the arena. There seemed to be some damage to some of
them, which they never recovered from. The remaining robot, meanwhile, picked up
a fairly decent number of eggs. The results:

Andrew  14x2 = 28
Gus     3x5  = 15
Todd    3x2  = 6
Peter          0

The Nanites scored 4x2 + 2x5 = 18.

A 15Mb Video of the multiple robots competing for eggs is here:
http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/RoboticEasterEggHunt/AllTogether.avi

NXT-only Sumo Results
=====================

The NXT-only Sumo competitions required people to build a sumo robot using just
the parts in a single retail NXT set. There were 8 entries for this event. Using
a round-robin tournament, each robot would have a chance to compete seven times,
once against each other robot. Scoring was 2 points for a win, 1 point each for
a tie. There was also a single 'move bonus' given if a robot was able to move,
which each robot got.

Results (the robot's name in parentheses):
Andrew (NXT)            5 wins, 1 tie,  1 loss,   1 bonus = 12 points
Peter (George)          4 wins, 3 ties, 0 losses, 1 bonus = 12 points
Walt (Novice)           4 wins ,1 tie,  2 losses, 1 bonus = 10 points
Gus (Dozer)             4 wins, 0 ties, 3 losses, 1 bonus = 9 points
Bob (Mike)              2 wins, 3 ties, 2 losses, 1 bonus = 8 points
Todd (Zero)             2 wins, 2 ties, 3 losses, 1 bonus = 7 points
Jonathan (Blind Turtle) 0 wins, 2 ties, 5 losses, 1 bonus = 3 points
Zack (Bob the Best)     0 wins, 2 ties, 5 losses, 1 bonus = 3 points

As you can see, Andrew and Peter tied for first place. The rules stipulated that
in this case the audience would vote for the winner. Well, the audience
requested a rematch between the two, and awarded the win to Peter.

Here are videos of each round. Most of them are two or three megabytes. Only a
couple of them are longer. (All are under 10Mb)

<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/AndrewBeatsWalt.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/AndrewCrushesZach.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/AndrewDecimatesJonathan.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/AndrewOutflanksTodd.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/AndrewOverwhelmsGus.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/AndrewTiesBob.avi>

<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/PeterDemolishesBobTheIntimidator.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/PeterOvercomesAndrew.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/PeterTrouncesGus.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/PeterWatchesZachCommitSuicide.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/PeterWaitsForJonathanToTie.avi>

<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/WaltObliteratesBob.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/WaltOutdoesJonathan.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/WaltWipesTheFloorWithTodd.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/JudgeRulesWaltPrevailsOverZach.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/WaltTiesPeter.avi>

<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/GusConquersTodd.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/GusHammersJonathan.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/GusSacksWalt.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/GusTorpedosZach.avi>

<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/BobCreamsGus.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/BobSlaughtersJonathan.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/BobTiesZach.avi>

<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/ToddBestsJonathan.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/ToddOutclassesZach.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/ToddTiesBob.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/ToddTiesPeter.avi>

<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/ZachandJonathanLungeAtEachOther.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/ZachandJonathanTie.avi>

And the audience requested rematch:
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/AndrewAndPeterTiedForPointsAudienceRequestsRematch.avi>

As is normally the tradition, after all the sumo rounds, we put all the robots
on the field at the same time, just for fun.
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/NXT-onlySumo/GusClearsTheField.avi>

For anyone who has read this far, here are a few bonus videos:

First, and amazing pneumatic controlled arm. It's controlled by a person, so not
really a robot, but it was cool to see.
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/Misc/AmazingPneumaticArm1.avi>
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/Misc/AmazingPneumaticArm2.avi>

Second, here's a six-legged walker that I brought. Each leg only exhibits one
degree of freedom. The middle legs rock the whole robot side to side, so that
the front and back legs can move back and forth.
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/Misc/DavidsOneDOFWalker.avi>

Finally, a video of Steve Barile pumping Kevin Clague's pneumatic walker.
<http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickFest2007/Misc/SteveBPumpsKevinCsPneumaticWalker.avi>

--
  David Schilling