 Robotics / 26942
26941  |  26943
Subject:
NXT Turkey MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 16:10:59 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

To learn studless construction and building with the NXT I have been reworking
all my RCX robot designs.  After what, almost a year now, I think I'm finally
getting it.  This week was the first time I successfully designed a NXT robot in
my head instead of with my hands.  It is based on one of the few RCX robots that
I'm willing to call "My Own Creation"; the Bug.

The motors on the NXT version reminded me of a bird's wings.  So the robot went
from a bug to a bird.  The robot's wobbly gait required an awkward bird.  I
decided on the domestic turkey.

The wire routing worked out great and I am very happy with the robot appearance.
The turkey is very simple and requires few parts, about half the part count of
the bug.  It requires almost no disassembly to change the batteries, and the
plug-in port is accessable if a rechargable battery is used.

To drive the turkey around I built a joystick based on Philo's design.  The
touch sensor is used to control channels 3 and 4, but since the turkey only has
two channels I use the button to make the turkey say "gobble gobble".

The turkey is faster and more stable than the bug.  I wrote a little game the
two play together.  The bug is programmed to randomly wander about using it's
touch sensors to avoid obstacles.  The player uses the joystick to chase the
turkey after the bug.  Each time you catch the bug (indicated by the ultrasonic
sensor reading less than 3 inches) you get a point.  Each time you score a point
the turkey drives off in a random direction for 3 seconds and you start over
again.  Your score is the amount of time it takes to catch the bug 5 times.