 Robotics / 2690
Re: Integrating RCX with Control Lab
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 19:51:27 GMT

suggestion, I found the following:

http://troyda.sas.muohio.edu/paper2.html

This is a research paper in which the author develops a
Windows OCX control for the Dacta Control Lab.  In it he
also discusses the protocol for the interface.

The nice part about this implementation is that you can
use it with Spirit.ocx to control both the Control Lab and
the RCX from the same VB or C++ program...

Jeff

Jeff Elliott wrote:

Hi ho,

Well, I'm having a lot of fun with Spirit.ocx and the RCX.
However, I'm also the proud owner of a 9v Lego Dacta Control
Lab.  That's the 8-sensor, 8-output serial-port Lego control
system that preceded the RCX.

I'd really like use the Control Lab in conjunction with the
RCX, but sadly the software that came with it is highly
unstable on a PC faster than about 386 speed.  Does anyone have
any info on alternative software platforms for the Control Lab,
or even on the communication protocol it uses?

I'm not afraid to write my own drivers for it, but I'd hate to
duplicate the effort if someone else has done so already.

Just imagine - a fixed base station with 8 sensors and 8 motors,
and an RCX with 3 sensors and motors, coupled with a digital
camera.  Much mischief...

Jeff