 Robotics / 26686
Re: straight line differential drive code
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2007 13:47:50 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, John Hawkins wrote:
Does anyone have some RCX code to make a simple differential drive (2
independent motor/wheel combinations) with 2 rotation sensors drive straight.
I'm sure it's been done many, many times before and I don't want to reinvent the
wheel here. NQC or even pseudocode is O.K.
Thanks,
John

I built a project to do just what you want.  In a tracked vehicle I have each
track driven by a separate motor and each also drives one side of a
'differential' but in opposite directions.  If both motors run exactly the same
speed the sum is zero and the differential 'casing' does not rotate.  If not,
the casing does rotate.  That rotation is detected and the faster motor is
stopped briefly (off-jogged) to bring the casing back to center position which
means that both tracks, in the long run, travel the same distance and the
vehicle tracks straight.

That project is well documented ...even has 'build instructions'.  The code is
ROBOLAB.  I'm sure you can duplicate (or improve on it) using NQC.

Look here:  http://legoprojects.jdkalpin.com/ and navigate to 'The LEGO Lugger'.

Jerry