 Robotics / 26662
Re: Mindstorms USB connection and memory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2006 04:06:56 GMT

In article <JAJz0z.6FA@lugnet.com>, Todd Thuma <thumat@gactr.uga.edu>
writes
Mindstorms NXT experts,

Okay, so I am working with my NXT and it occurs to me that the brick has a USB
connection. USB connections are bidirectional meaning that information can go
both ways.

Hmm.

A USB connection between a host and a slave is not bidirectional.  The
host end supplies power and control logic which create the signals to
manage the data transfers in each direction.

This minimises the cost for mice, keyboards, and memory sticks where
every extra penny on the sale price is important.

(There are more complex topologies with hubs turning the connection into
a tree radiating from the host. There are starting to be a few devices
that support "USB on-the-go" which makes the 2 ends more equal.)

Unfortunately the Lego NXT brick and the memory stick both only work at
the slave end of the cable.

See here for a previous discussion about this:
http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=25022

Regards,
Tony
--
  The NXT Step blog discusses the Lego Mindstorms NXT:
  http://thenxtstep.blogspot.com/