 Robotics / 26661
    Re: Mindstorms USB connection and memory —Steve Hassenplug
   (...) Yes, you're crazy. Actually, it's been suggested many times. However, it doesn't quite work that way. With USB, there's a master device, and a slave device. The thumb drive is a slave device. The NXT is a slave device. You can't connect a (...) (18 years ago, 20-Dec-06, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Mindstorms USB connection and memory —Todd Thuma
     (...) Steve, Thanks! I was hoping it might work like the memory card in my digital camera. By the way, when your working on the next NXT, a memory card slot would be COOL! I can dream can't I? Sincerely, Todd (18 years ago, 20-Dec-06, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Mindstorms USB connection and memory —Philippe Hurbain
     (...) Well... technically it could probably be done, using a microcontroller with integrated USB host, and some interface with mass storage added to it. But that would be a HUGE electronics/software project! Philo (18 years ago, 20-Dec-06, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Mindstorms USB connection and memory —Claude Baumann
     (...) The European leading journal for electronics "Elektor" has presented a memory stick that can either be connected to a PC via USB or to a microcontroller via RS232: very interesting and inspiring: GE: (4 URLs) (18 years ago, 20-Dec-06, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Mindstorms USB connection and memory —Ralph Hempel
     (...) That being said, I did once load my brick up with custom firmware that made it look like a USB key - with just under 256K (yes K) of storage - not very useful, and probably the most expensive USB key ever made! Ralph (18 years ago, 20-Dec-06, to lugnet.robotics)

        RE: Mindstorms USB connection and memory —Fred Mullins
    There is a lot of "not quite standard" to existing USB capable products. Some things like digital cameras and thumb-drives get along fine with current operating systems, but most of them have their own drivers available to implement extra features. (...) (18 years ago, 20-Dec-06, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Mindstorms USB connection and memory —Tony Naggs
   In article <C351BAFF646DAC4F8F7...98F@YS-EX- CLUSTER.ysi.int>, Fred Mullins <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> writes (...) It is not safe to do this. Perhaps there is a power-down PC connected, that will be unable to deal with 5V being applied to the (...) (18 years ago, 21-Dec-06, to lugnet.robotics)