 Robotics / 26572
Re: GCC toolchain available for NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2006 17:13:24 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Rasmus Pedersen wrote:
Hi,

I have modified the NXT firmware source to work with gcc, and also set up the
make file. Pls. read on if you are interested...

NXT can be programmed with a gcc toolchain (Lego uses IAR). The gcc toolchain
setup description I have made is available at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nxtmote. If you have the source code (or not);
feel free to try out the toolchain. Please send any corrections to
nxtmote@gmail.com.

You can also get the modified source files from me if you also have the source
for review now, but you should send me something from the source code so I know
I can exchange code with you (sorry I am under NDA until public release of the
source). There is also a main.c file for testing the toolchain regardless of the
source code. There is one issue described in the PDF at the nxtmote download
(last page): I should be happy to collaborate to solve it.

You can download the Source.zip file from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nxtmote by going to the download section on
Sourceforge. Then you unzip this directory in c:\nxt for example, and paste the
NXT source into this directory. You could read the nxtmote.pdf and the
README.txt file, and try to configure a toolchain according to the descriptions
before trying out the simple main.c example. Remember to modify the Makefile
according to the instructions in the README file.

It is work in progress...so just email me at nxtmote@gmail.com or post here
as bugs are discovered (and solved:-)).

Sincerely,
Rasmus

Hi,

I have set up a gcc-based toolchain for the Atmega48 AVR on the NXT brick in
addition to my arm-elf toolchain announced earlier. See
http://nxtmote.sourceforge.net/
for an initial description of setting up avr-gcc and for the initial changes
needed in the source code. And check here
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nxtmote
to download header and example files for the NXT-ARM and the NXT-AVR MCUs.

Any feedback or collaboration on these two gcc-based toolchains is welcome at
nxtmote@gmail.com.

Sincerely,
Rasmus