 Robotics / 26520
Re: Problem with rcx communication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2006 12:55:12 GMT

"Rodrigo Santos" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
news:4548B36A.3050808@criba.edu.ar...

I have uploaded a program based on ERIKA to the RCX. It didn't work
properly as I have to take off the batteries to shut it down. When I tried
to communicate with it again it seems that the IR is dead. Even if the rcx
beeps and I can select the demo programs and even run them, the LCD is
alive and buttons respond, I can not download any firmware.

A couple of things to note here:

1.  RCX original firmware had to have the batteries taken out to reset it.

2.  You don't state what version of RCX you are running, or what version
you're trying to download to it.  If you're trying to download to a 1.0 RCX
your baudrate for the communication may be wrong, and you'll need to find a
baudrate that both will accept.

Does anybody have an idea of what may be happening? Can rechargeable
batteries break down the hardware? can a software ruin the ROM?

Is there anyway of doing a complete reset of the system. I mean something
like a real turn off of the rcx to start all over again?

I'm not sure what the exact problem is but if you browse this search on
LUGNET here perhaps it will give you some things you can try to reset your
firmware.  I think what needs to happen is that you have to find what
baudrate is compatible with your particular RCX brick and go from there.

http://news.lugnet.com/?q=Mindstorms+redownload+firmware

It may be possible that you've got a physically dead or faulty electronic
component in the RCX brick or the tower itself, in which case what you will
need is enough knowledge to desolder the faulty component and solder in a
replacement.  Any competent TV repair shop technician should be able to
diagnose the problem with the RCX or the tower used to communicate with it,
although it may be somewhat expensive, depending on the time taken to find
the fault, and the expense of suitable replacement parts for the RCX brick.

Hope this helps.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde