 Robotics / 26406
  NXT Ultrasonic sensor

I haven't bought an NXT yet and I have a question about the ultrasonic sensor it comes with. Can I use it to take a bunch of readings and then use them assemble up a 3D picture of what is around the sensor, kind of like how a radar works? How long (...) (18 years ago, 6-Sep-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NXT Ultrasonic sensor

(...) Well, sort of. First, what the US sensor returns is the range of the nearest sound-reflecting surface: but it's not a pencil thin laser beam of sound, so the same object might be detected at slightly different angles, making the object apeear (...) (18 years ago, 6-Sep-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NXT Ultrasonic sensor

(...) Well it sounds promising, I'm going to try it. I really appreciate your input. -Ben (18 years ago, 6-Sep-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NXT Ultrasonic sensor

(...) PS - the thing I would want the radar to do is to guide a bucket for an excavator. The goal being to dig lego bricks from a pile with the bucket. So I think I can get away with it not being super-accurate or resolute. I'm really looking (...) (18 years ago, 6-Sep-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NXT Ultrasonic sensor

Hi, (...) since sound travels at about 333 m/s (depending on temperature and pressure), a meter takes 3 milliseconds. At the maximum range of 2.5 meters, times two that would be 15 milliseconds per reading. Cheers Jürgen (18 years ago, 6-Sep-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NXT Ultrasonic sensor

(...) It never ceases to amaze me how astoundingly slow sound is compared to the speed of a computer. It's one of those rare cases when your view of the universe around you shifts into a completely new perspective. (18 years ago, 6-Sep-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NXT Ultrasonic sensor

(...) Yeah the speed of light is pretty darn fast! Sound is quite turtle-like in comparison ;) Ben (18 years ago, 6-Sep-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: NXT Ultrasonic sensor / Retreiving 8 OBjects at Once

(...) Unfortunately, you cannot operate a ultrasound sensor at this rate. I think it is much slower than this. Before you start a new "ping" you have to ensure that all the echoes from distant devices on first ping have been received before starting (...) (18 years ago, 6-Sep-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NXT Ultrasonic sensor / Retreiving 8 OBjects at Once

This here: (...) Is exactly what I want to do! Do you have any links? If any of your friends have any of their work online I'd love to check it out.. Thanks! Ben (18 years ago, 6-Sep-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NXT Ultrasonic sensor / Retreiving 8 OBjects at Once

(...) (URL) Hansen (18 years ago, 7-Sep-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: NXT Ultrasonic sensor / Retreiving 8 OBjects at Once

(...) While i set up NXT-G to wait for a US detection i held a mini microphone right against the us transmitter, there seems to come a pulse from it every 6 ms. (URL) (18 years ago, 13-Oct-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: NXT Ultrasonic sensor / Retreiving 8 OBjects at Once

Did you mean 60 ms and not 6? The jpg seems to indicate 60. -----Original Message----- From: news-gateway@lugnet.com [mailto:news-gateway...ugnet.com] On Behalf Of bk227865 Sent: Friday, October 13, 2006 4:40 AM To: lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com (...) (18 years ago, 13-Oct-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: NXT Ultrasonic sensor / Retreiving 8 OBjects at Once

(...) aww yes , my bad ... 60 ms it is . (18 years ago, 13-Oct-06, to lugnet.robotics)