 Robotics / 26293
Re: Almost 300! And another Mindstorms Challenge! And more!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2006 17:01:45 GMT

OK. Let's start over again:

What I should have said is that I believe that if you have two vehicles each
weighing 2 lbs (the maximum allowed by the rules), one rolling, one
"walking", the probablity of making a "stronger" forwardly mobile unit is
greater with the walker, based on the surface area of the only thing between
the unit and the surface (the rubber wheels).

Yes, if done poorly, the gearmotors would race while lifting and stall when
pushing, and yes this would be managed with some additional gear reduction
and probably cam action so that the speed at the output end of the mechanism
increases at the top of the stroke, then slows down for the push. The rules
dont say you  are limited to any number of parts, only weight and volumetric
area, so, conceptually, you would probably fill the square foot of area in
contact with the floor with as many wheels as would fit, then build a cam
shaped "orbit" to lift, advance and pull the two sets of pads.
Sent from the LEGO Robotics forum at Nabble.com.