 Robotics / 26242
26241  |  26243
Subject:
Memory - Where did it go?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2006 23:59:58 GMT

I got my Mindstorms NXT this past weekend and built the demo unit and then
the Claw with only minor programming errors.  Tonight I started using some
of the various programming functions.  My first program was to use the sonar
and detect the presence of someone and then play 1 of 5 random sound files.
Pretty simple.  One problem, "out of memory"! After reading the help file I
was informed that out of the 256K of memory (which is small to begin with),
only about 56K is available for user files including sound files.  Well, my
5 sound files were well over that limit alone.  Reading the help file more
indicated that I could get more memory free by deleting some of the basic
files that come pre-loaded and if there is a problem you could reload the
firmware.  Well, I had read that when some people try to upgrade/load the
firmware, their system becomes useless.  So for now I have hesitated to
delete any files, not knowing which files I can delete with no problems.

Questions:

1) Can any one give me some idea what the pre-loaded (system) files are and
which one I can delete safely?
2) Can someone show me one of their more complicated programs and how much
memory it took?  (I am thinking about just generating some random
programming with a lot of functions but no sound bytes to see how effiecent
the program is when complied but an example of a large real program would be
better).

Thanks for your time,
--

Tom S.

Sent from the LEGO Robotics forum at Nabble.com.